Thursday, June 28, 2012

"I fell in the big pool"

Today Brynnen and I (finally) joined our friend Mrs. Sara and her two girls (Anna & Ella- Brynn's BFF) at the pool in their neighbor hood.  Brynnen had on her floaty (suit type with pads built in, goes over her suit), but was still a little skiddish on the steps.  So Sara gave her a ring floaty and she was fine.  Ella had arm floaties, so both girls were covered and away they went.  They had a great time, it was so sweet watching them play and swim all over the pool- with no problems.  There were lots of kids there, and other friends so plenty of ppl to keep an eye out.  :)

After a while Brynn had to potty so I took her floaty off and left it off, if she wanted in the big pool I would take her, otherwise she was fine in the kiddie pool.  As we were walking back from the bathroom Brynnen walked to the edge of the pool, about 4' deep.  I told her she couldn't jump in bc she didn't have a floaty.  We opted for the kiddie pool, which was just as fun.

In the kiddie pool she would jump out on the opposite side, run over to me- throw her wet body on my back, I'd flip her over- dropping her in the water, she'd go play, then repeat the whole process.  Not sure what happened, but she runs back to that same spot at the big pool, trying to get as close as possible to the edge.  I said "Be careful Brynnen, let's play over here"  trying to give her the option of obedience.  She took a step forward and rocked back, I said "Brynnen, you are going to fall in, come here."

 She was making me way too nervous, as she replied "What mommy?"
"Come he..." She fell backwards in the pool. 

Instant panic, a little prayer- I really don't know it was about 3 seconds before I was over there, grabbed her outstretched arms just under the surface.  I had never felt irritation, panic and shear relief at the same time.  She didn't really cough, but wiped her face and started crying.  As I dried her off I said "That is why you need to listen to mommy."  I think that stern over tenderness probably comes from my dad, then I realized exactly that and pulled her close, saying "Are you ok baby girl?  You scared mommy."  She nodded, so I repeated "We have to listen mommy huh?" 

We left the pool, b/c in our house you don't get to play after disobedience..and I had some errands to run before nap time.  When I put her in the car she said, "I fell in the pool."  "Yes you did, are you ok?"  She nodded.

I opened her door at the first place, she said "I fell in the big pool?" 
I said "Yes, Brynnen you did.  What happened?"
"I didn't listen and fell in the big pool"

At the next stop "I didn't listen, I fell in the big pool"
Me: "Yes, honey you sure did."
Talked about it a couple more times in the store.

She fell asleep on the way home, and when I pulled her out to take her inside she said, "I fell in the big pool.  Mommy, I sorry I din't listen you, I fell in the big pool."  Melt. My. Heart.  She might be traumatized.  Sad it was a hard lesson, but thankful it wasn't worse. 

How many times in life do we ignore warnings from our heavenly father?  We try to test limits, going as far as possible with "falling in."  More often than not, we "fall in" and will only change/listen after....Food for thought....
 

1 comment:

Susan Sene said...

So scary! I still can picture Ri under the water at the lake that one day. YIKES! Praise God Brynn (and Ri) is ok!!

I thought maybe that experience would help her have a healthier fear of water. But she's a little too comfortable with the pool. I took her to my friend's pool that has a zero entry (like a beach, slowly gets deeper) and she kept going too deep and smiling the entire time she was sinking! **we forgot her swimmie but were watching her very closely** I feel like I have to watch her more closely because she is so comfortable with the water now!