Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Can we move to the beach, please??

I really hate when I let so much time go by between posts, I like consistency and I am the furthest thing from it.  :) Sorry friends!!

Couple weeks ago we went to the beach (St. Simon Island, GA) with Stephen's brother and his family.  We had a great time, Stephen included- which was a big deal, because he doesn't care for the beach...at all.  True love from him = a beach trip for his wife :)  What a good hubby I have :) We really liked this particular spot.  It had so many old trees with Spanish moss, a clean-non-crowded beach and not at all industrial/touristy.  I loved it.  I'm talking, literally reminding Stephen every day how much he was enjoying it too, so maybe we could move here??  HA Never gonna happen.  So I'll settle for memories, pictures and maybe another beach trip next year  ;)

See how much they love it! :)

All of us!
A couple nights we went down to the pier.  Most piers are the same, a structure for you to walk out over the water- some are long, some short, most high, and all secure (for the most part).  As we were walking there was a nice strong breeze, the waves breaking on the rocks, the sun going down and the moon already in place for the night.  Gorgeous.  I was looking out from the safety of land (this wasn't a pier connected to the beach, where you could walk down on the sand or under the pier- there was no sand, it was land, rock, water), I saw how strong the water was.  Crashing pretty brutally against the rocks.  Picturing what it would be like if I was in the water-shuddering, I was thankful for the safety of land!

The closer we got to the actual pier the more I looked at the structure- the length and height of it, the wood that formed it- held in place by cement pillars diving further than my eyes could see.  I don't know why, but I was pretty impressed how unmoving it was.  Those waves were pretty harsh! Not sure what I expected?  Why wouldn't it be strong enough to hold a hundred or so people at any one time...lawsuit, hello?!  I don't know....Anyway, as I watched the relentless waves I was remind who controls the waves (God, our creator).  So cliche, I know, but look how confident we are in structures, and people who make those structures.  We pretend we can control the water, putting some boards high above it- as if we can say "You stay there, we'll stay here, everything is fine."  Clearly, that has worked in the past- until wind & waves are stronger than the pier, house or building- then nature effortlessly pushes it out of the way. 

Auntie Su-su, Ri & Brynn on the pier- looks safe right?

So as I'm walking I can't help but picture (Matthew 8:23-27) the night the disciples were on the Sea of Galilee.  The (MUCH higher) waves were crashing on the boat, they were afraid for their lives and woke Jesus- he (in my paraphrase) said "Waves, chill out" and vs 26 says "it was completely calm." Ever experienced that?? A few words to completely stop a ferocious storm?? Me neither.  Think about it....Mind boggling right?  For me it is!  Then in verse 27 "...Even the winds and waves obey him."  Isn't that amazing to know?  The winds and waves obey HIM. As those words crossed my mind again I had a warm reminder of my heavenly father and his protection over me. Then I giggled about how silly we are for trying to control "things" - and I wasn't necessarily talking about the pier....

:)



Super windy!



No comments: