Thursday, July 30, 2015

Fasting (Part 2)


Remember how I said in my last post (HERE) that we were not going charging up that mountain...into the dangerous lower level stratas, just the 2 of us...that God had a plan, we had brains and I KNEW God had meticulously orchestrated this, we were just waiting for HIM to reveal it.  Well, today was the day.  We crossed the smelly river.
THE smelly River.  Santo Domingo is that last row of "houses"/buildings at the top before the green.

Yes, WE did.  We went up those cable cars to the last stop.  One of the most violent areas up until the last 5 years.  However, if you are not with a local, or look like you don't belong, or happen to be out after 5 pm-ish, you will probably be questioned by local gangs.

Weird, because when I wrote that blog, I had absolutely no intention of actually going up there until we knew it was safe and I could.  I mean, God was sending us- by US he meant Stephen.  You know, the big-darker skinned man.  Well, God had another idea.

I had no clue that when we met up with our new friends (from OPEN ARMS FOUNDATION), Enoch and Cristina we would be headed up into the lower stratas.  Enoch was raised up that mountain and his wife, Cristina, was an articulate, English speaking Brazilian, with an assertive-can do attitude.  All I knew was we were going to meet Hector, a local pastor hoping to team up for outreach with ONE MINISTRY, I also knew we were in good hands.

On our way up "the other" metro cable we were talking about how incredible God is and how "crazy" it was that here we happen to be HERE (in Medellin) doing ministry together.  4 different ethnic groups, 4 VERY different up-bringings,  that happen to meet under the same canopy (Open Arms) for the same purpose.  How "crazy that these very houses are the ones I just happen to write about (I am not kidding, we got on the blue line and got off 2 stops before Bello...SAME houses), and here we are with a local that can take us into the heart of it.  How true God's word is when it says HE KNOWS us, HE KNOWS every detail before it comes to be.  Don't believe me?  Read Psalm 139:13-16.  Go ahead, I will wait.  :) 

Seriously. Do it. You DO NOT want to miss out.

...

...

Are you serious?  I don't know what version you had, but my NKJV said "Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed- and in your book they all were written.  The days fashioned for me, when as yet there were none of them."   (Fancy way of saying GOD knew my days, he put them together, evv-uhh-ree- detail, before I had breathed one single breath).  Let that sink in real quick.




That is our stop...




 We had a great meeting with Pastor Hector.  We learned what the people of this area really need.  FAMILY instruction.  They have no clue what the specific family roles should be, or should not be.  Satan has this area believing lies, under firm oppression- people desiring rules not a relationship.  They have too much freedom, they don't understand how God could love them THAT much.  With NOTHING in return, if fact, you can't do anything to earn it...it doesn't make sense.  Oh, my heart aches for the way they need Jesus.  I absolutely love the overwhelming feeling I get just thinking about it.  There is not one thing I alone can do to make them understand.  I mean, come on, y'all already know our issues with the language barrier. (Refresh here, if needed).  Not one thing I can do, BUT, I know who can.  Actually the ONLY one who can (God).  I can choose obedience to be his hands and feet, to serve these people and tell them of this great love I have for my creator.  To pray that when they see these "gringos"- that they will not see a status or our differences, but they will see our heart- the NEW heart given by our creator, who is seeking after them (and YOU) too.

I want to type "This will be a long hard process"-- but truth is, I have no clue.  But God does.  I don't even know if it will change in our life time.  But God does.  I don't know their circumstances, or if we can even reach them.  But God does.

That's the best part about Psalm 139: 13-16...I don't have to know, because HE already has it laid out, it was written, completed, "the days fashioned for me, when as yet, there were none."




After our meeting, we were at the park up there, looking out over the city (it was breath taking), Cristina asked me "Do you feel safe here?"  I said, "uh- yeah, I guess so"  I mean, I had just seen a whiter-ish man covered tattoos with a big camera taking scenic pictures, unharmed.  A group of teens standing behind Stephen comparing size, while he is obliviously talking with Enoch and Hector, unharmed.  All while trying not to get high from the smothering leftover clouds of Marijuana, unharmed-yeah I feel safe...I said, "Wait, No. I don't feel safe- but I trust you.  If you tell me I am safe, then yes, I don't feel unsafe."

It's the peace God gives, his protecting hand.  I trust Him, fully, completely with total abandon...because I believe HIS word.  Psalm 139:13-16.  He already knows my days.  Besides, if I am not here, on earth...I will be in heaven, with Him.


Christina, Me, Stephen, Enoch - Santo Domingo


pictures do NOT do this city justice



No comments: