Monday, December 12, 2011

My heart is forever changed.



I'm sure most of us have compassion for 3rd world countries.  We see the videos of children with no clothes,  shoes, food, water- you name it- they probably don't have it.  I've donated here or there, but was pretty happy with my comfy cozy life.  Sometimes I even consider life tough (still do), but I don't even know the meaning of tough.  I've never had to wear the same clothes 2 days in a row let alone months.  I've never been more that a few hours from a tummy rumbling.  I've never had to walk miles for dirty contaminated water- I sometimes even scoff that all I have to drink in the house is water.  Clean, good for your body water.

11/11/11 will be marked as a day that changed my life.  Children of the World (COTW) choir sang at our church (Chilhowee Hills Baptist) and Vernon Brewer spoke.  What really did me in was the documentary they showed.  Like I said before, I've seen dozens of these that offer a few "aw, so sad" or even a flip of the channel.  This was different.  I don't know if I'm older, at a different place in my walk with God or because I have a daughter.  Whatever it was, this MESSED ME UP! (In a good way). 

This is THE video-click here to see BABY RESCUE

We had the privilege of hosting 2 of the COTW girls, Stephanie, 11 from Philippines & Urmila, 10 from Nepal.  We had them from Friday around 5:30 until this morning at 8 am.  They had a lot of rehearsal, so we didn't have a lot of down time, but the moments we did will be cherished.  :)

If you know me well, you know I'm obsessed with hearing where people came from.  Different events that have shaped who they are (good and bad).  I ask a million questions.  However, the one thing we couldn't talk about with the children was the one thing I desperately wanted to know.  Their past.  What was their country like?  Who did they leave behind?  What did their house look like?  What was their daily events, schedule, customs?  The leaders didn't want us asking simply because these children did not had happy, sweet childhood memories.  They are all orphans or disadvantaged children (extreme poverty).  Boy, you could never tell it.  They laugh and play, sing and dance- they know all about Selena Gomez and her boyfriend Justin Bieber.  They love painting nails and eating hotdogs (and rice).  Even now I can't hold back tears picturing what these sweet children will return home to.  

This is Urmila being silly.  She LOVED being on camera, even though she got shy once she knew it was on her.  Then she wanted to watch herself (who doesn't, right) ;) 




Stephen and I were both hit pretty hard by the message we heard.  We've already made some changes regarding Christmas and gifts, ect.  I think it's time to take it up a notch.  We can't be half way followers of Christ.  He said to give everything, so why am I holding back.  I give only til it gets snug- not til it hurts.  Well, I can tell you my heart is hurting.  I can't sit here and do nothing.

Maybe that is what caught my attention about the video we watched, I had met children from the extreme poverty that this organization helps.  I have seen first hand the joy of following God's commands (to care for the widows, orphans, poor and needy).  It is the most beautiful heartbreak I have ever had.  My life has forever been changed.

This has been an emotional day for me.  Crying most of the day, my sweet baby says "Whaaa maa'er mommy?? Whaa maa'er?"  How do you tell an almost 2 y/o about children her same age, older and younger are dying because they don't have the things she will one day take for granted??  You can't (until she's older).  So I simply told her "Mommy's heart hurts honey" - not that she knows, although it was super cute that she gave me a kiss and said "all better".

No comments: